Sat02Sep201710.00 - 16.00Tolhurst Organic Walled Market Garden
A Meal in a Jar - Preserving & Fermentng Veg for Winter
Price #70.00 includes home-grown vegetarian lunch and 2 jars of preserves to take home.
Who is the workshop for?
This workshop is aimed at gardeners, cooks and food-lovers who want to learn how to preserve vegetables to enjoy throughout the year. This workshop will not cover jams and chutneys; we will focus instead on traditional – savoury and healthy – methods of preserving!
What will you learn?
This workshop will take you through the basics, deal with your queries and build your confidence to get preserving and create your own home-cooked meals in a jar! It will involve both a theoretical and a practical session and introduce participants to key essentials, including:
- Health & safety in the preserving kitchen
- Different methods of preserving veg – from lacto-fermentation to long-life vegetable medleys and whole tomatoes in their own juice
- Taste and discuss our own home-made preserves and pickles over lunch!
- Two healthy, savoury recipes which we will make together – picking veg directly from the garden and preserving it together in the kitchen
- The theory behind the techniques and recipes so you can experiment and create your own meals in a jar at home!
You will leave the workshop with two jars of preserves, and print-outs of the recipes. You will also have the possibility to buy veg to take home if you want to carry on preserving more of our delicious summer harvests!
What will you need for the workshop?
An apron (essential!), your own favourite chopping knife (if possible), a loose-leaf notebook for notes and handouts, pen, sturdy shoes, all weather gear and/or sun protection for outdoor garden tour and veg harvesting.
To sign up, please Contact Us