The 2016 inaugural competition Soil Farmer of the Year run by the Carbon Cutting Toolkit aims to find farmers and growers who are engaged with, and passionate about managing their soils in a way which supported productive agriculture, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and built soil organic matter and carbon.
Second prize was awarded to Iain Tolhurst, from Tolhurst Organic Partnership CIC. Iain impressed the judges with his knowledge and understanding of how to maximise soil biodiversity and his innovative use of composts and green manures within his rotation as well as his agro-forestry system. Whilst the business has been established over 40 years, it continues to innovate, push boundaries and educate others.
We have been nominated for and achieved a variety of awards over the past few years:
- The Observer Food Monthly, January 2015 – Iain Tolhurst ‘Top 50 Eco Foodies’
- The Observer Food Monthly, January 2008 – Iain Tolhurst Number 27: ‘Top 40 Eco Foodies’
- BBC Radio 4 Food and Farming awards – Finalist Farmer of the Year 2007
- Farmers Weekly – Food Miles Hero February 2007
- Waitrose – Winner Small Producers Awards 2004
- Marks and Spencer – Finalist Grower of the Year 2000
- Soil Association Organic Food awards 1999 – Highly Commended in Horticulture
- Winner ‘Local Box Scheme of the Year’ 1999