Rhubarb and Strawberry Galette
By May 16, 2019Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
I discovered this recipe at a food show recently. It used blueberries, but I replaced them with strawberries which are local and seasonal. I also used wholemeal flour mixed with gluten free flour, because this is what I found in my cupboard. The almonds frangipane mellows down the tartness of the rhubarb and it works perfectly.
- 160 g unsalted butter
- 60 g golden caster sugar
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond essence
- 70 g ground almonds
- 150 g wholemeal flour try glutne free
- 50 g gluten free flour
- 200 g fresh strawberries quartered
- 200 g fresh rhubarb chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- To make the frangipane, mix half of the butter softened with 60 grams of sugar, bitten egg, almond essence and ground almonds. Stir well until it becomes a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Make the shortcrust pastry by mixing the rest of the butter, flour and a pinch of sugar and salt until it creates crumbles. Add 2 table spoons of cold water and bring together into a ball. Set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime mix the rhubarb with strawberries and sugar and let them drip some syrup in a pan, for about 20 minutes.
- Flatten the pastry ball with your rolling pin and roll it slowly to prevent the pastry from breaking, about 5 mm thick. Then roll it onto your rolling pin and transfer into a baking tray, large enough to hold the pastry.
- Spread the almond frangipane on the pastry, holding more in the centre than at the edges.
- Put the mixed fruit in the centre, leaving the edges of about 4-5 cm wide.
- Mix the formed syrup with the cornflour and pour over the fruit. This will bind the fruit while baking and will prevent from escaping the galette
- Fold in the edges of the pastry and brush with beaten egg if desired.
- Bake the galette at 170 degrees for about 45-50 minutes. Enjoy hot with some cooling yoghurt or cold, with coffee. Yum!