Now it is time to eat tomatoes! In all their shapes, flavours and splendour! At Tolhurst Organic we boast ten different varieties and you can enjoy them in salads, raw, or cooked, like the recipe below, inspired by Waitrose.
The colours – pink, red, orange and yellow – they also tell a story. A story of summer, warmth, light and love for Nature.
The Yellow from Thun (round and small), Yellow Submarine (pear-shaped) and Yellow Globe (large round, made-up name) are best for eating raw, they are sweet and mellowie. Just as the Red Alert and Gardeners Delight.
The Oxen Heart and Quadro are for cooking. Try making sauces, chutneys and juice.
And the all-times-favourite Diplom Classic are good for anything. No wonder it is most popular.
We like them all and celebrate summer every day, eating them in all forms and shapes.Theya re an excellent source of vitamin C and help absorb iron from vegetal sources, especially good for veggies.
Enjoy them as they last!
Stuffed tomatoes Recipe
By July 31, 2017Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 15 min mins
- Cook: 55 min mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
You can use rice, farro, cous-cous or pearl barley in this recipe, it really depends on your taste, but I prefer pearl barley as it gets even tastier on the following day, cold or reheated.
- 100 grams pearl barley
- 12 whole tomatoes choose the bigger ones
- 1 aubergine cubed
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon small capers optional
- 12 pitted black olives chopped
- 15 grams parsley chopped
- 40 grams Cheddar cheese optional, grated
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp good olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C, gas mark 5. Cook the pearl barley according to packet instructions, drain.
- Meanwhile slice off the tops of the tomatoes, scoop the flesh and set aside, keep the tops.
- in a frying pan cook the aubergine cubes in a little bit of oil, until soft.
- Add the onion, garlic, remaining oil and season to taste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pearl barley, tomato pulp, paprika, capers, olives and most of the parsley. Season well. If using, stir in the grated cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes and top with remaining cheese and parsley. Replace the tops and bake for 35-40 minutes, until starting to brown at the edges. Serve hot, with roast potatoes and/or a green salad.