If you are wondering what else to do with your beetroot (this year we have a bounty), try this pickle recipe that we discoverd on BBC Good Food site. It is good as soon as you make it, but it certainly improves with time.
Photo by Eva Nemeth
Spiced beetroot & orange chutney
By January 30, 2017Published:
If you are wondering what else to do with your beetroot (this year we have a bounty), try this pickle recipe that we discoverd on BBC …
- 1.5 kg beetroot trimmed, peeled and diced
- 3 onions chopped
- 3 eating apples peeled and grated
- 3 oranges juiced and zested
- 2 tablesppons mustard seeds white or yellow
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tbsm ground cinnamon
- 700 ml red wine vinegar
- 700 g sugar golden granualted
- In a preserving pan or your largest saucepan mix together all the ingredients well. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for 1 hours, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is thick and the beetroot tender.
- While the chutney is cooping, prepare your jars by running through a short hot wash, then sterilise in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chutney is ready, let it settle for 10 minutes, then carefully spoon into the jars and seal while still hot.
- You can eat it straight away but it will be even better after a month. Will keep for up to 6 months in a cool dark place. Once opened, refrigerate and eat within 2 months.