http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/pumpkin-pastry-e1512933194943.jpg 711 400 Tolhurst Organic http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tolhurst_organic_logo-300x135.png Tolhurst Organic2015-10-27 12:32:242015-10-27 12:34:03Halloween dishes
Sweet Pumpkin Strudel
By October 27, 2015Published:
This a traditional Moldovan dish. For a vegan version just omit the eggs. I can assure you that the strudel will be just as delicious, if not crispier!
- 1 roll Puff pastry look for vegan versions that don't use dairy products
- 0.5 kg pumpkin flesh, peeled finely grated
- 100 grams caster sugar can use brown sugar if desired
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar can be vanilla flavoured
- 1 organic egg beaten
- Roll out the pastry sheet and thin it out as much as you can, using a rolling pin. Use some flour to sprinkle and avoid the pastry sticking to the surface.
- Brush the four edges with the beaten egg. Spread the grated pumpkin in an even layer leaving the edges clear. Sprinkle the sugar.
- Roll the pastry into a log, making sure the far end edge remains at the bottom of the log. Seal the side edges and put in a baking tray lined up with baking parchment.
- If using, brush the top with the rest of the beaten egg. Make several holes with a fork, to let the steam get out when it builds up.
- Bake in a hot oven at 250 degrees C, mark 7 for about 35-40 minutes. This depends on your oven. Check from time to time to make sure it does not burn.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let cool for a while. Cut the strudel into slices of 3 cm thick and sprinkle with vanilla flavoured icing sugar. Serve warm or cold, with coffee or tea.
- Skill Level: Beginner