By September 19, 2015Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
Why not?! Since we are Squash & Pumpkin Champions and are building a Pizza Oven to be launched at the Squash Festival on 4 October, why not try a squash pizza? I prefer it with Feta, you may choose your own cheese, or leave it out all together. It is the squash that counts! For an artisan pizza base, use Aston's Organic.
- 1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 whole ripe tomatoes, preferably cooking tomatoes as they contain less seeds peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 spoons favourite cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon herbs of your choice marjoram, thyme, basil
- 500 grams squash peeled and cubed
- 150 grams Feta cheese crumbled rough
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First make the tomato sauce. Sweat the onions and garlic in half the oil, then add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper and cook until it thickens. Leave to cool.
- Put she squash cubes on a backing tray, season well, sprinkle with remaining oil and roast in a hot oven (350 degrees C) for about 10-15 minutes, to turn golden.
- Assemble the pizza. Roll the pizza dough and put it on a baking tray. Spread the tomato sauce, then add the roast squash. Finish with crumbled cheese, if using. Bake in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes and serve immediately.
- For an authentic pizza experience, come to our Squash & Pumpkin Festival on Sunday, 4 October