http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/tomato-soup.jpg 159 187 Tolhurst Organic http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tolhurst_organic_logo-300x135.png Tolhurst Organic2015-08-21 16:30:412015-08-21 16:30:41Recipe of the month: tomato soup
By August 21, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
Too many ripe tomatoes? Do not waste them, make a delicious soup, using other seasonal ingredients. Live the season!
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, preferably cooking tomatoes as they contain less seeds peeled and chopped
- 2 whole red onions peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic (optional) chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice short grain or rizzotto rice
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 750 ml vegetable stock hot
- 2 spoons olive oil
- 4-5 leaves basil or parsle to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat the onions with the garlic in a pan, using the oil.
- Add the tomatoes and rice and mix well to coat the rice and heat it up.
- Add half of the vegetable stock and cook for 20 minutes on low heat. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Taste and add some sugar or honey, if you think it is too acid. Let the soup base to cool, then blend it to the consistency of thick cream. Add more stock to make it soupy. Heat up and serve with fresh bread, and garnished with greens.
- On a hot day it can also be served cold. It will be as tasty as refreshing.
- Course: Soup