http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/IMG_0487.jpg 3264 2448 Tolhurst Organic http://www.tolhurstorganic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tolhurst_organic_logo-300x135.png Tolhurst Organic2014-04-16 16:21:392014-04-16 16:21:39Recipe of the Month - April
By April 16, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
This is a classic side dish that teases out the sweetness of spinach with a touch of nutmeg.
- 1 kg spinach coarsely chopped
- 500 ml milk use semi-skimmed
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 shallots minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp flour all purpose
- 50 g Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper freshly ground
- nutmeg freshly ground
- In a large pan bring 200 ml of water to boil. working in batched, add the spinach to the pan and cover, letting each each batch wilt, before adding the next one. Cook until the spinach is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the spinach and rinse under running water. Squeeze gently and set aside, reserving the pan.
- In a small sauce pan bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- In the large saucepan used for the spinach melt the butter, add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shallots soften, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the flour. Reduce heat and let bubble for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce the hear to medium-low and simmer until lightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more.
- Whisk in the Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper, and nutmeg. Transfer to a bowl and serve.